2019 Autism at Work Summit East/Fall
In October, the Els for Autism Foundation ™ hosted the 2019 Autism at Work Summit East/Fall at The Els Center of Excellence ™ campus in Jupiter, FL. The summit was sponsored by SAP, EY, DXC Technology, JPMorgan Chase, and the Olitsky Family Foundation.
Launched in 2016, the Autism at Work Summit supports SAP’s vision to provide for a more neurodiverse workplace. The objective has been and continues to be – creating a collaboration platform for private and public sectors, academic/educational institutions, civil societies, sports and entertainment leaders, philanthropists and members of the community at large.
While the current national unemployment rate in the United States is just below 4%, this rate stands at 85% for individuals on the autism spectrum. The summit was a significant opportunity for participants to engage with leaders across multiple sectors, advancing career options for job candidates on the autism spectrum.
The statistics speak to the energy and drive of the event:
- 290 onsite attendees from 15 countries
- 60 Participants with Autism
- 21 Speakers and Panelists with Autism
- 10 K-12 Education Institutions
- 42 Higher Education Institutions
- 6 U.S. Government Organizations
- 72 Enterprises – Small, Medium, Large
- 56 Non-profit Organizations
- 54 Ecosystem Companies
- 7 Philanthropists
- 18 local Jupiter, Florida businesses, many who are Els for Autism Foundation Employer Partners, participating in the Employer Expo and Reception
The East/Fall summit expanded the scope from previous summits to include content highlighting employment across ability levels and industries, from self-employment/entrepreneurship to professional and non-professional jobs.